ictQatar Open Source Software Workshop
I will be speaking this Saturday, Oct 23rd at an open source workshop held by The Supreme Council of Information and Communication Technology in Doha, Qatar. ictQATAR is leading the strategic thinking and implementation of ICT initiatives in government, market development and knowledge management, education, health, e-inclusion, and cyber security. Joining me are other representatives of the Fabricatorz Team, Jon Phillips (Status.net), Christopher Adams (freesouls.cc, Sharism), and Bassel Safadi (Aiki Framework).
Main goals for this event will be to educate those eager to discover methods for open source development, advantages in using them, and why open source techniques are important. Attendees can expect all free culture bases to be covered, including: backgrounds, latest developments, and practical how-to’s.
Jump into the world of apps, source codes and transformative innovation – it’s the world of open source software.
Join the rapidly growing community of web and software developers that are embracing open source and finding new ways to make their mark.
Take part in this hands-on workshop on October 23, 2010 from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and learn from some of the leading open source developers in the region. Hear insights on the latest thinking in open source and engage in practical tutorials on development innovation.
11:15 a.m. Welcome Introduction to the workshop
11:15 – 1:15 General Session
- Why F/LOSS (Free Libre Open Source Software) matters? (Barry Threw)
- The Economy of F/LOSS (Christopher Adams)
- Open Standards and Libre Software/Graphics/Content and How They Connect (Bassel Safadi)
- Open to Participation: How to Contribute to Open Source Projects (Mahmoud Abu Al Wardeh)
- Why Developing Economies Need Open Source Software (Bassel Safadi)
- The Freedom Stack: Delay Tolerant Networks, Backdoor Free Technology, and SLOWFI Culture Movement (Jon Phillips)
1:15 – 2:00 Lunch Break
2:00 – 4:00 Case studies and Tech Lab
- Linux’s History, Overview of the Operating System and Live demo/Installation (Issa Mahasneh)
- Sharism, Aiki, Statusnet, Copyleft Hardware (Jon Phillips)
- Open Source Implementations in Daily Life Applications
How to Build a Website (Blog, Wiki, Photo archive) on F/LOSS software